When converting a non-workshared model into a workshared model, all elements apart from grids, levels and reference planes will be automatically assigned to the default workset ‘Workset1’ (unless of course, you renamed it something different). This default is not very useful, and depending on how far progressed the model is, it can take significant time manually assigning elements to the respective workset.
Manual assignment with Ideate Explorer
Historically, BIM managers have utilised the Ideate Explorer add-in as a way to speed up the process. To assign elements to a particular worksets it was necessary to sort by ‘category’, and then possibly use the Ideate Query function to further refine the selection process before modifying the selected elements Workset parameter in the Properties Pallet.
Once assigned to a workset, it is possible to sort by ‘workset’ and then find any offending elements and change their workset parameter in the Properties Pallet.
This process can be very time-consuming, especially if you need to repeat multiple times. However, we can use Dynamo to automate this process.
Automated assignment with Dynamo
As the worksets created are to an office standard, they can be pre-programmed into the Dynamo script for element assignment. The ‘Element.AssignToWorkset’ node utilises the BVN workset naming convention to assign model elements automatically:
- Non-structural walls, floors and roof whose type’s ‘Function’ parameter is ‘External’.
- Windows and doors whose type’s ‘Function’ parameter are ‘External’.
- Walls, roofs, floors which have the ‘Structural’ instance parameter checked.
- Structural columns.
- Note that this process takes precedence over the façade workset. Therefore, if a wall is both external and structural, it will be placed on the ’10_STRUCTURE’ workset.
- Ramps and Stairs.
- Non-structural walls, floors, roof, windows and doors whose type’s ‘Function’ parameter is ‘Internal’.
- Furniture, Furniture systems and speciality equipment.
- Topography, planting, entourage and parking.
99_LEVELS & GRIDS
- Levels, grids, reference planes, reference lines, and scope boxes.
Again this node is highly specific to one particular workflow. However, it can be easily modified to suit your particular needs.
Helpful article! Thanks!
How to get node for “AssignToWorkset”?
The BVN Dynamo package
HOW WE CAN USE THIS SCRIPT FOR MEP ELEMENTS?
You would need to customise it as currently it isn’t reading any MEP elements